- 4 cups zucchini or yellow squash, shredded
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups cottage cheese, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place zucchini in colander, sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes and then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with egg, nutritional yeast and 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
- Press mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add beef, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink and drain if necessary.
- Stir tomato sauce into beef mixture and spoon over cooked zucchini.
- Sprinkle with remaining cottage cheese, bell pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
1 serving = 4 oz protein, 2 cups vegetable Nutritional yeast may be eliminated if you cannot find it. It adds a nice cheese-like flavor.