Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup xylitol
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 egg yolks save egg whites for meringue
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a saucepan, mix together water, xylitol and arrowroot powder. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until you reach a thick consistency.
- Add lemon juice and zest and stir to combine.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and stir until it reaches a pudding-like consistency.
- Pour lemon mixture into a glass pie pan and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites about 2 minutes. When it begins to thicken, add xylitol, cream of tarter and vanilla.
- Continue beating egg white mixture until stiff peaks form, about 2 more minutes.
- Spoon the egg white mixture over the lemon mixture and bake until peaks turn a nice golden brown.