- 1 large apple, peeled and cored gala, granny smith and honeycrisp work well
- 4 Tbsp flaxseed, ground
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp granulated xylitol
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of Celtic Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grate apple with a large cheese grater.
- Place shredded apple in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- In a bowl, add apple and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide into 4 muffin cups and bake 30 minutes. (For small muffins, bake 15-20 minutes. For larger muffins, bake 25-30 minutes. )
- Muffins will not rise much, so to check for doneness, insert a toothpick or sharp knife into one muffin. If it comes out clean, muffins are done.
1 serving = 1/4 serving of fruit, 1 tablespoon flax seed (1/2 daily allotment), 1/2 oz protein Phase II Variation: add 1/4 cup raisins.